Buffalo Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Security Officer - Temporary - Continuous Posting
at Buffalo Public Schools
|Title:||Security Officer - Temporary - Continuous Posting|
BOARD OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES
ROOM 720 CITY HALL
Continuous Posting for 2019-2020 School Year
Civil Service Residency Requirements will apply
POSITION: Security Officer – Temporary - Continuous Posting for 2019-2020 School Year
SALARY: $38,840 - $45,626
LOCATION: Various School Buildings
APPLICATION: CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org Applications successfully received will generate a confirmation email to the account listed on the application. If you do not receive a confirmation email, we cannot guarantee that your application was received. You must submit an application until you receive a confirmation email.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An incumbent to a position in this class will be responsible for the security of school property, safety of students, school personnel and assist in the maintenance of order. Patrols school buildings, areas around the school and at school functions in order to bring any problems under control. This position differs from that of Guard in that the Security Officer will have the power of arrest. The incumbent will be semi-uniformed and wear a pocket emblem for identification instead of a shield. Security Officers will not be trained in the use of firearms or carry weapons. They will be called upon to use good judgment and have a high degree of tact in their contacts with students. Immediate supervision is received from the Director of Security.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
- Maintains order in and around school buildings including lavatories and cafeterias;
- Reports irregularities to the School Principal and/or Director of Security;
- Disperses groups of individuals congregating on or at school property;
- Assists the principal with the orderly movement of pupils within the building;
- Removes unauthorized visitors from school premises;
- Assists in the apprehension of violators of laws or school department regulations on school property;
- may seize and secure illegal or unauthorized contraband brought into the building;
- Assists in the detection of problems or potential problem areas through effective communication channels with pupils, community residents and businesses;
- Keeps the principal constantly advised of means of establishing effective security measures in the building;
- Develops methods to prevent intrusion within a school building by outside gangs;
- Attempts to resolve less serious acts of misconduct without resorting to arrest;
- Investigates incidents within the school and submits reports to School Principal, Director of Security and Police when required;
- Makes arrests and appears in court in the prosecution of offenders;
- May be required to testify in disciplinary hearings;
- May be required to drive department automobile, chauffeuring the Superintendent, School Board members or other officials to meetings/school, etc.;
- Performs related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Working knowledge of investigator techniques;
- Ability to use good judgment and attitudes in dealing with the public and in situations involving student safety and building security;
- Ability to prepare, understand and interpret written material;
- Ability to reason clearly and make sound judgments;
- Ability to present ideas clearly and effectively;
- Ability to establish and maintain satisfactory relationships with others;
- Tact, courtesy, strength and agility;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Graduation from High School, GED or Equivalency Diploma and six months of full time experience as a security guard;
Graduation from High School, GED or Equivalency Diploma including or supplemented by 15 credit hours from an accredited college or university in Criminal Justice, Police Science or Law Enforcement; (transcript must be presented at time of filing application)
- Applicants must possess a valid NYS Driver’s License which must be presented at time of appointment and maintained during employment.
- Applicants must possess a valid NYS Security Guard Registration Card which must be presented at time of appointment and maintained during employment.
- Upon appointment, applicants will be required to participate in a 16 hour on-the-job training course (or comparable) as prescribed by the NYS Security Guard Act and the Buffalo School District.
- Employees will be required to participate in an 8 hour Annual In-Service Training Course and must maintain a valid Security Guard Registration Card throughout employment with the Buffalo School District.
Note: Verifiable part-time experience will be pro-rated to meet full-time experience requirements.
Proof of education must be presented at time of appointment.
FINAL FILING DATE: Continuous posting for 2019-2020 School Year
Associate Superintendent for Human Resources