Child and Family Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Say Yes Bilingual Family Support Specialist
at Child and Family Services
The Bilingual Family Support Specialist, with the knowledge of the building Principals, is responsible for working directly with students and families who are experiencing difficulties with behavior or other social-emotional issues. The Bilingual Family Support Specialist will also work to facilitate the implementation of Say Yes Buffalo and other partner initiatives and programs in the school in which they are assigned.
The Bilingual Family Support Specialist position compliments existing BPS School Support Teams and will not reduce, interfere with, or perform services provided by any BPS employees. The function of the role is to provide services and supports to those students that have been referred by school personnel, (e.g., Student Support Team members, school counselors, attendance teachers, social workers and administrators) as requiring Positive Behavior Intervention Supports (PBIS) Tier 3 level interventions.
- Work directly with students linked with the Erie County Department of Social Services as referred by BPS Student Support Teams as needing Positive Behavior Intervention Supports Tier 3 services. This work can include documentation of progress, outcomes and service plans, home and family visits with some non-traditional hours required
- Adhere to all Erie County Department of Social Services (ECDSS) laws and regulations regarding providing preventive services including requirements regarding contacts and documentation
- Work with building administrators to implement tasks related to the Say Yes Student Management System (SMS) for students, parents, and teachers, including questions related to survey completion and how to access individual student growth plans and data driven interventions and outcomes
- Participate in on-site collaboration, facilitation and enrollment of referred students and families with identified service providers including satellite mental health clinics, in-school legal and health services, after school providers and other identified services
- Serve as liaison between service providers and school building staff and administration, including informing school staff regarding the Say Yes services and programs offered in the building and how to refer students and families
- Serve on relevant school management teams and supporting building specific initiatives and events as requested
- Generate appropriate referrals for identified students and families, including food pantries, shelters and agencies that help with other needs such as clothing and housing
- Create and supporting a college-going culture in school buildings, including facilitating the Say Yes scholarship application process and creating awareness of the benefits of college and the steps necessary to apply and prepare for post-secondary education
- Participating in your employers’ (Say Yes Buffalo and Child & Family Services) community events including college and community resource fairs and other outreach events with some non-traditional hours required
- Provide interpreting services in assigned school building, home and community settings
- Provide interpreting services for Say Yes/CFS colleagues, as assigned
- Other duties as assigned by your Family Support Specialist Supervisor and Say Yes Child & Family Services Administrators
- Proficient in two languages (Spanish/English preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field, MSW preferred
- Valid NYS Driver's License
- Three (3) years of experience working in a not-for-profit, government or school setting with direct daily interaction with children or families