Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lean Manufacturing Engineer
at Materion Corporation
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Job Locations
- US-NY-Buffalo | US-RI-Lincoln | US-PA-Shoemakersville | US-OH-Mayfield Heights | US-OH-Lorain | US-OH-Elmore | US-MA-Tyngsboro
- Relocation Provided
- Engineering - Operations
Simply stated, Materion makes advanced materials that improve the world. We are a global leader in creating innovative, high performance engineered material solutions and services for a wide range of growth industries: high-tech consumer electronics, telecommunications, commercial aerospace, defense, medical, automotive, and many more.
Our products, services and expertise help enable customers’ technologies. We supply sophisticated thin film coatings for hard disk drives, specialty inorganic chemicals for solar energy panels, bio-compatible materials for implantable medical devices, specialty alloys for miniature consumer electronics components, optical filters for thermal imaging, critical components for infrared sensing technology, special materials for LEDs and much more. As the world’s only integrated “mine-to-mill” supplier of beryllium-based products, we also offer beryllium, specialty engineered beryllium alloys and beryllium composites.
As a team of 2,700 associates, we partner with customers in more than 50 countries. In 2017, we generated over $1B+ in revenues and made an exciting new acquisition that expanded our footprint in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
For more information, check out our video “Materion Is” along with other videos https://www.youtube.com/user/MaterionVideos/playlists of us showing you how we’re Making a Difference our shared purpose of” Making Advanced materials that Improve the World.”
Click on any of the icons below to connect with Materion on social media.
JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING STRUCTURE
The Lean Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for leading and deploying the best practices throughout the manufacturing organization by leading or supporting continuous improvement initiatives across various manufacturing processes. Utilizing lean manufacturing principles, this position will lead, facilitate, execute and manage projects to reduce manufacturing costs while improving quality and safety This role will integrate Lean component into Materion’s way of delivering products and services and is part of the Lean Action Team.
Working in cross functional groups, with various locations and various business units this position is considered a leadership development role.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Role encompasses project management, consultation, facilitation, training, and execution for a range of critical, multi-dimensional strategic initiatives that will require planning and analysis for a broad array of complex financial, operational and technical issues to improve cost position, productivity, efficiency, customer service, and overall performance.
- Partner with key organizational and site operational leaders to identify and achieve priorities, goals and objectives.
- Planning, coordination, and execution of LEAN/Sigma projects.
- Develop metrics to successfully track improvemen.
- Ensure all elements of cost, benefit, and risk are identified and considered during the project planning.
- Assist in teaching Lean/Six Sigma principles to production employees; train others in use of tools and methodologies as part of project execution.
- Lead/drive process changes, improvements, value stream mapping.
- Champion communication between organizations at all levels.
- Facilitate cross-functional teams to achieve Kaizen objectives.
- Work with Process Engineers to standardize Operating Procedures (Work Instructions); increase workflow efficiency.
- Mentor employees as they apply Lean methodology to problem solving and project execution.
- Follow and comply with all Environmental Health & Safety policies.
- Sustain already implemented Lean Six Sigma initiatives.
- Organize and develop cross function project team resources in order to effectively realize project commitments.
- Conduct Lean / Six Sigma activities and support and mentor Lean / Six Sigma Coordinators and Facilitators while working collaboratively with management, supervisors and individual coordinators
- Create a learning environment that encourages employees to feel personally conscious of quality improvement and internal and external customer focus. Work as part of a larger group to update and align educational methods and curriculum.
- Analyze and resolve problems through the use of Lean, Statistical Process Control and Theory of Constraints. Foster the use of scientific problem-solving using facts and data, problem solving, value stream mapping, standardized work, visual management, and leader standard work.
- Train appropriate personnel, track progress, communicate progress, audit and drive sustainment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required.
Licenses Or Certifications Required
Six Sigma Green Belt Certification from an accredited organization. Black Belt preferred.
Must have at least 6 years of work experience in a manufacturing environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical skills and deep manufacturing process orientation
- Expertise in Lean Six Sigma/Continuous Improvement methodologies (i.e. set-up reduction, pull/kanban system implementation, value stream mapping, etc.)
- Proven success applying various Lean process documentation/standard work (SOP, ISO, etc.) to achieve goals for increased capacity, volume, and revenue
- Requires superior project management skills with the ability to transfer knowledge and train others
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate complex information and influence change across a matrixed organization
- Travel varies depending on projects; Roughly 50%